Thursday, September 29, 2011

Felt Leaf Garland

I have a faux leaf garland that I bought for my mantle a couple of years ago. 


I wanted to make another garland for the banister in the loft and came up with this idea.

I bought almost 3 yards of felt in various colors (2 yards each of brown and orange and then little bits of yellows, golds, reds to fill in.)  Then I printed out a couple of different leaf templates that I found by googling online.


I traced a ton of leaves and mostly cut them out while waiting in the school parking lot during pick-up and during our recent road trip.  At first I was cutting a hole in each leaf to string them, but then I realized it was much easier and just as efficient if I folded the stem over and cut more of a slit in the stem.  


I strung all of the leaves onto a brown ribbon.


(And I also did 3 "special" leaves that are just the my 3 kids' handprints.)  




9 comments:

  1. This is really cute!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the garland...I made one of nothing but of off white. I bought wool sweaters at the goodwill and cut them up. It is a great project. Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic fall garland!

    I would love for your to post this gem up on my Fall In Love linky party on Wednesday.

    Until then come by and see a spectacular new spice cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a project for a day I feel patient! CUTE garland!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is CRAZY CUTE!! Thanks for the fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like fall! Very cute! I would love for you to link this up to My Favorite Things Halloween Party going on all month! I hope to see you there!
    XoXo
    ~Iffy~
    www.StayAtHomeNation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great colors...looks so fun and festive! I don't envy you cutting all those leaves out though! Yikes, that's a lot of work...my hand hurts just thinking about it! Oh, and my fave part is how you snuck the handprints in there. Thanks for linking at One Artsy Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute! Great idea to include the "special" leaves. I wanted to make something similar, but I never got around to it. Now that I've seen yours, I wish I did.

    ReplyDelete